Section 1. Overview
Below is an action checklist for your management committee (for housing associations/co-operatives) or Housing Committee (for the local authority).
- Agree that a policy and procedures to deal with racial harassment should be adopted.
- Agree an additional clause should be included in the tenancy agreement referring to harassment and agree a timetable for this to be done.
- Designate a senior member of staff to be responsible for implementing the policy.
- Agree a programme of training for staff and committee members about the new policy and procedures and monitor this training for outcomes.
- Monitor the policy: Once the policy has been established, the committee's task is to monitor its effectiveness. The key points to monitor are: number of incidents reported each month/quarter/year; nature of the incidents; the victim's wishes; actions taken by staff; outcome.